Tuesday 26 April 2011

M. d'Agueville's Cabinet


This 1760 New Tour of France, Geographical, Historical and Curious, Arranged by Different Routes, For the Use of Foreigners and the French was the Michelin Guide. I have downloaded the PDF and intend to use it as a reference work on my next visit.

Aix en Provence has been one of my favourite cities since I first visited in the mid-eighties. I was intrigued to find M. d'Agueville's home was considered a tourist attraction.


"There are several other attractions in Aix, either in churches or private homes, among others do not forget to see at M. Agueville's, Counsellor at the Parliament, a cabinet of pictures he has taken care to assemble."

The Archives départementales des Bouches-du-Rhône are available online, but Aix was a major centre with several churches or institutions where births, marriages and deaths could have been registered.

No comments:

Post a Comment