Thursday 28 April 2011

The Late Jean Pierre d'Egville

Genealogie.com is a Notrefamille.com site which is similar in presentation and content to Ancestry - but it is French and has no English translation. I often type a name into the search facility just to see what it throws up. The normal price of a months unlimited access is 20 euros less a centime.
I have never actually entered the name d'Egville until this morning. I wasn't expecting much and what I saw wasn't much but it was intriguing. From the depths of their database the search engine fished out a record for Degville Jean Pierre, who died in Paris between 1800 and 1825.

Much of the Paris archives was burnt when the citizens were saved from the government of the Commune by the French army in May 1871. However, the actes have been reconstituted in a card index. There is now free online access to the archives and the link has been added to this page.

So, with the intelligence gleaned from Genealogie.com I tried to find the reference in the Archives de Paris. And to cut the hour I spent searching short, I didn't find it. I suppose I will grudgingly pay up 20 euros just to find out what there is on record at Genealogie.com. My bet is I will be paying 20 euros for a transcription error.

The index cards usually have very little information,
this example is the death of Joseph Anselme dit Baptiste in 1810.

No comments:

Post a Comment