Saturday 10 March 2012

The Invisible George

After George Harvey d'Egville relocated to Atherstone his presence in the archives becomes almost invisible. Louis, Sophie and James are apparent in their many column inches of advertisements and publicity. I'd attributed this to the destruction of the smaller circulation local newspapers but I'd begun to wonder whether he did anything other than father a large number of children.

This substantial advertisement that appeared in the Northampton Mercury is not unusual so far as dancing academies are concerned and it is difficult to establish who is really really a d'Egville. I'd consigned it to file of possibly fraudulent dancing teachers but I've reconsidered it because it might be George.

George certainly was a dancer at the Opera House although I'm unaware of any records associating him with the Royal Academy in Paris. One thinks of Atherstone being isolated but Lutterworth is only eighteen miles away on a direct route along Watling Street.

The Northampton Mercury 21 November 1829
The British Library Board

3 comments:

  1. George Harvey D'Egville is my 4th great grandfather, on my mother's mother's side (My mother's mother was Kathryn Degville). It seems he was married three times, is that right? Henrietta Dodd, married in 1794, until she died in 1800. Mary Reid, married in 1803. Then, Sarah Ann Veazy Langford, married around 1824? It looks like he had 17 children? 2 each by his first two wives and then 13 by Sarah Ann?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason, Thank you for posting your comment dated 11 February 2019 as you have answered a query of mine. I have just discovered that my husband's maternal 3x great grandfather, John Langford (b.1811 in Pains Lane, St Georges, Nr Pontesbury) married Sarah Veasy in 1844 at the Collegiate Church, Wolverhampton - I have a copy of the marriage certificate - the 1851 census stated that he had step-children x3 by the name of Degville - I am yet to see evidence that George and Sarah had 10 other children...how fascinating, if you are willing and able to share any information pertaining to this, I would be most grateful. Thank you in anticipation, Karen Ethelston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jason, having carried out some further research, I have discovered that George Harvey D'Egville married Sarah Ann Veazey on 1st August 1831 - as he died in about 1840, I believe that it is physically not possible for him to have thirteen children with Sarah, unless of course, there were several sets of twins, triplets etc. lol. I have so far discovered, Sarah b. Abt.1831; Frederick b. Abt. 1833; Charles b. Abt. 1834; Ann b. Abt. 1836 and Hannah b. Abt. 1838. Hope that helps. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete